SAG-AFTRA Strike: A Fight for Fair Wages and Working Conditions
The Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (SAG-AFTRA) is currently on strike against the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP). The strike began on July 14, 2023, and is the first major strike in the entertainment industry in over 20 years.
The strike is over a number of issues, including:
- Wages: SAG-AFTRA members are demanding significant wage increases, particularly for streaming services. They argue that streaming services are making billions of dollars in profits, but their workers are not being paid fairly.
- Benefits: SAG-AFTRA members are also demanding better benefits, such as health insurance and retirement plans.
- Residuals: SAG-AFTRA members are demanding higher residuals, which are payments that they receive when their work is re-aired or streamed.
The AMPTP has argued that SAG-AFTRA’s demands are unreasonable and would harm the industry. They have also said that they are willing to negotiate, but SAG-AFTRA has not been willing to compromise.
The strike has had a significant impact on the entertainment industry. Many television shows and films have been put on hold, and some have even been canceled. The strike has also cost the industry billions of dollars in lost revenue.
The strike is likely to continue for some time. Both sides are dug in, and there is no clear end in sight.
What Can You Do to Help?
If you support SAG-AFTRA’s strike, there are a number of things you can do to help.
- Donate to the SAG-AFTRA Strike Fund: This fund will help to provide financial support to striking members.
- Volunteer your time: SAG-AFTRA is always looking for volunteers to help with picket lines and other strike activities.
- Spread the word: Talk to your friends and family about the strike and encourage them to support SAG-AFTRA.
The Importance of Unions
Unions are important for workers of all industries, but they are especially important for workers in the entertainment industry. The entertainment industry is a highly competitive industry, and workers often have little bargaining power on their own. Unions give workers a voice and allow them to negotiate for fair wages and working conditions.
The SAG-AFTRA strike is an important reminder of the importance of unions. Unions are fighting for the rights of workers, and they deserve our support.